Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Glee

If you haven't yet done so, please go to http://www.fox.com/fod/play.php?sh=glee and watch the pilot episode of the new Fox comedy Glee. It's simply fantastic. It's the funniest thing Fox or any one of the big networks has done in ages. It's about the formation and ongoing drama of a high school glee club or, as it is now known, show choir. The casting, acting, writing, humor is cinema quality. A real highlight is the former glee club director. I hope they have him make occasional reappearances.

The best part, though, really does seem to be the music. They've chosen awesome Broadway songs that serve alone as great entertainment but usually double as a subject material gag--my favorite being the "Sit down, you're rocking the boat" sung by the student in the wheelchair. Another is the image of a crowd of cheerful 16-year-olds singing "Rehab." Just check it out. It will be the big show when it premiers this fall. It may be the first time I buy a television soundtrack.

2 comments:

  1. I'm bummed that I have to wait so long to see it again. It's a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it too! I didn't realize the episode I saw was just a preview and was highly upset when I found out that I had to wait until the fall. I love musicals...I'll get one every week now!

    ReplyDelete