Sunday, February 6, 2011

Photography

I registered for an actual photography class at the College this semester on Monday nights and am initially finding the study a little more tedious than I'd hoped. We're talking aperture, focal length, exposure meter, DPI, gray scale, ISO, and I just want to hang myself. I believe once we get these 100 or so terms ingested, it will get more interesting as we put them into practice.

My goals are simple: 1)Put a "pro-sumer" camera to better use than setting on "automatic" 2) develop a better visual vocabulary that I can bring back to my work 3) attempt to use photography to enhance any freelance writing I might do later in life.

We have a great instructor. He's been a professional photog for 40 years and is a pretty easy going guy. He pushed us in the deep end two weeks ago by assigning 36 exposures for the following class. Without a clue what I was doing shot over a period of three days around the house, in downtown Chicago, at the Arboretum, printed them out 4x6 and turned them in. He is choosing our four best and critiquing them tomorrow night. I'll be curious to see which ones he chooses. I'll post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment