Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dinner/Breakfast

We did go to Wildfire last night for dinner in Oakbrook. I would give the experience a 5.5 out of 10. Part of this is our fault in that we thought we were going to a slightly quieter more intimate and upscale setting. It was instead fairly loud, albeit comfortable. The food was fine. It was neither the best nor worst steak I have had. Our server was either a little harried or just not overly pleasant. I'm sure he's a nice guy or could have been having a bad day, but he did not check back appropriately or provide that sort of warmth that can tip the scales when deciding whether the place is to be recommended.

I ordered a rib eye, rare, encrusted with horseradish with a sweet potato. They did cook it properly, but I found the horseradish to be devoid of flavor and gave the dish a greasiness I hadn't anticipated. Amy had three fillet medallions, each encrusted with something different (blue cheese, potato, etc.). She liked two out of three. Our deserts were fine. The coffee I found weak or thin. The prices were more reasonable than expected. I don't mean to knock the place too much. Many people I know seem to like it. I think it's not necessarily for a "foodie," not that I claim to be one, and it would be a good place to take a undiscriminating group for a friendly time, as opposed to an anniversary dinner.

To be honest, I think we had a much better meal that morning at Labriola Bakery. Very good food, comfortable lighting and a gentle din of kitchen and diners that allows the still tired to read their Saturday paper in peace. I had a Toad in the Hole and Amy had a breakfast sandwich. We would have probably been just as happy going there last night. They too have pizza from a wood burning oven, and it's quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment